Sunday, January 29, 2012

While We Wait for Medical Treatments for Aging ...

Barbara: Damien and I sometimes joke about how pissed off we'd be if we were to die of cancer just before a major breakthrough in successful treatment of the diseases (I say "diseaeses", rather than "disease," because the generic term "cancer" seems to refer to a number of distinct diseases).

It's not really a joke, though. One's best hope of staying healthy long enough to benefit from preventative geriatric medical treatments is to live each day now in a way that promotes good health. Apparently, one of the best ways to keep oneself healthy longer is to get 30 minutes to an hour of exercise each day. Another way of looking at this is to say, "OK, I'm gong to limit my sleeping and sitting time to 23 - 23.5 hours each day."

Here's a nice video presentation you can watch while walking on a treadmill or pedalling a stationary bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aUaInS6HIGo#!

The title screen mentions obesity, but I promise, this is not just for overweight people. If you're reading this and you are overweight, or trying to maintain your weight after losing 10% or more of your body weight, I have some links to good weight control blogs and websites on my Altamira blog.


4 comments:

  1. This is a test. Something is apparently stopping people from posting comments here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe not. It seems to be fixed. Calloo callay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I can certainly see the comments. Nice font.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the comments. Let's see if mine show up. spike

    ReplyDelete